The Haslam Scholars Program was founded in 2008 with a generous gift from Jimmy and Dee Haslam and Jim and Natalie Haslam. Their aim was to create a program that would attract the best and brightest scholars in Tennessee and others from around the country to receive their education at the University of Tennessee and become productive citizens of the state of Tennessee.
Since that time, the program has become the University of Tennessee’s premier undergraduate academic enrichment program. The Haslam Scholars Program develops civically engaged scholars by promoting the pursuit of knowledge, scholarly research, and community leadership. The program also engages students with the opportunities that the State of Tennessee has for them, including post-graduate programs, excellent research facilities, and opportunities for leadership in engineering, science, medicine, law, education, business, and the liberal arts.
The program includes an exclusive curriculum, a international education experience, interdisciplinary seminars, community service learning, and unique partnerships with Tennessee institutions. Through personal involvement and mentorship from UT’s top faculty, each Haslam Scholar develops the knowledge and skills to pursue and explore an independent research agenda. Additionally, Haslam Scholars serve as high-profile undergraduate leaders on campus and in the community whose lofty academic ambitions match those of the program, the institution, and the State.
The mission of the Haslam Scholars Program is to foster intellectual curiosity and engage the moral sensibilities of scholars through curricular and co-curricular experiences.
- Small cohort of high-achieving students.
- Lecture series that draws on UT’s recognized academic strengths in the humanities, natural sciences, and social sciences.
- Funded international education experience.
- Service-learning in the Knoxville community.
- Extensive faculty-mentored honors thesis research and independent research support.
- Integrity: Haslam Scholars demonstrate integrity in their interactions with each other, staff, faculty, administration, and the broader community.
- Diversity: Haslam Scholars embrace inclusiveness, serving as models of equity.
- Justice: Haslam Scholars reflect a shared belief in equality and justice for all members of society.
- Responsibility: Haslam Scholars acknowledge their obligation to others, their respective communities, and the global society.