The Haslam Scholars Program seeks to attract and hone the leaders of tomorrow for the state of Tennessee. Haslam Scholars have demonstrated knowledge and experience in leadership, service-learning, and civic engagement and are prepared to use such knowledge to contribute to the state of Tennessee. The application process below is specifically for students interested in the Haslam Scholars Program, students interested in other Honors & Scholars Programs can learn how to apply here.
Qualifications to Apply:
- Test-Inclusive: Students choosing to submit test scores to the university must have 4.0 weighted core GPA and 31 ACT superscore or SAT equivalent. Students applying for admission in Fall 2023 and beyond are required to include test scores as part of their application.
- Test-Optional: Students applying for admission from Fall 2022-Summer 2023 semesters who choose not to submit test scores to the university must have at least a 4.0 weighted GPA in each of UT’s core categories to be reviewed. Additional materials provided for test-optional consideration will be reviewed as a part of the Honors & Scholars review process.
- Graduation Date: To be eligible for the Haslam Scholars Program, students must apply for admission the year of their high school graduation.
- Completed Competitive Scholarship Application: All students applying to be a Haslam Scholar must complete the Competitive Scholarship application through the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarship by the university’s deadline. This is a separate application than the Haslam Scholars essay and must be completed by December 1 to be eligible for review.
Prospective scholars must meet the below deadlines to be considered for the first round of review for the Haslam Scholars Program. This holistic review of the scholar’s essays, scores, and activities allows our selection committee to select semi-finalists for the next round.
- November 1: Submit your UT application by the early action deadline via a Go Vols account or the Common App.
- Email Invitation: After completing the UT application, students who meet the above qualifications will receive an email invitation to submit a Haslam Scholars essay. This essay will serve as your application and be considered alongside your UT application materials such as your SRAR, activities list, and other essays.
- December 1: Submit your Haslam Scholars essay by December 1 to be reviewed for the program.
- December 1: Students must elect to be considered for UT Scholarships by this deadline to be considered for the Haslam Scholars Program. Most students will have selected this while completing the general UT application. Students who did not elect to be considered for scholarships on their UT application can change their response on their Go Vols portal.
After a holistic review of essays, 60 scholars will be selected for regional in-person interviews hosted in major cities in Tennessee. Scholars unable to travel will be able to take part in virtual interviews.
- Mid-January: All applicants will receive notification of their status in the Haslam Scholars Program
- Late January: 60 semi-finalists will take part in regional interviews
Selection Weekend at UT
Following semi-finalist interviews, 30 scholars are invited to Knoxville for an on-campus interview weekend to experience UT first-hand, meet Honors & Scholars staff, and hear from current Haslam Scholars.
- Early March: 30 finalists are invited to Haslam Scholars Selection Weekend
- Monday following Selection Weekend: All finalists will be notified of their appointment as a Haslam Scholar or as an alternate* for the program
*All scholars invited to the Haslam Scholars Selection Weekend receive a 5,000/year four-year Chancellor’s Scholarship regardless of their appointed or alternate status