Honors & Scholars allows UT’s best and brightest to enjoy a four-year honors experience by accepting applications from incoming first-year college students. On average, 10% of the incoming class is offered a place in one of our university-wide honors programs creating a campus microcosm where high-achieving students foster a supportive, inclusive community of academic excellence. The below application process is for the 1794 Scholars, Chancellor’s Honors, and Honors Leadership Program. For information on applying to the Haslam Scholars Program, click here.
Qualifications to apply:
Honors & Scholars programs are designed for scholars who excelling in their high school coursework who want to continue challenging themselves academically throughout their college experience. To apply to the 1794 Scholar, Chancellor’s Honors, and Honors Leadership programs as an incoming first-year student, you must meet the following minimum academic criteria:
- Test-Inclusive: Students choosing to submit test scores to the university must have 3.8 weighted core GPA and 28 ACT superscore or SAT equivalent.
- Test-Optional: Students choosing not to submit test scores to the university must have at least a 3.8 weighted core GPA to be reviewed. Additional materials provided for test-optional consideration will be reviewed as a part of the Honors & Scholars review process.
Prospective scholars must meet the below deadlines to be fully considered for Honors & Scholars Programs.
- November 1: Submit your UT application by the early action deadline via a Go Vols account or the Common App.
- Email Invitation: After completing the UT application, students who meet the above qualifications will receive an email invitation to submit an Honors & Scholars essay. This essay will serve as your honors application and be considered alongside your UT application materials such as your SRAR, activities list, and other essays.
- Program Selection: When completing the essay application, you will be prompted to select the program in which you are interested from the following: 1794 Scholars, Chancellor’s Honors, and Honors Leadership
- December 1: Submit your Honors & Scholars essay by the early action deadline to be fully considered.
- Students must have a complete UT application by November 15 to receive their honors decision during the first decision release in mid-December.
- Students who submit an application for 1794 Scholars, Chancellor’s Honors, and Honors Leadership by the early action deadline of December 1 will be notified of their decision by mid-December.
- Applications received between December 1 and February 1 will be notified of their honors decision by mid-February. However, please note that the vast majority of admissions to our Honors & Scholars programs are offered during the early action period.