Meet Brandon Kristy

Class: 1794 Scholar 2021
Major: Plant Sciences, Biotechnology Concentration
Hometown: Knoxville, Tennessee

During my first year at UT, Honors and Scholars gave me the opportunity to participate in a research fellowship under the guidance of Dr. Kimberly Gwinn from the department of Plant Sciences. Before beginning my fellowship, I knew very little about plant pathology and was unsure of what to pursue after obtaining my college degree. Emerging from my fellowship, I have discovered a whole new focus of study and opened the door to unthought-of opportunities.

Participating in research let me see aspects of my broader field in action. Throughout the semester, I worked with a fungus known as Botrytis cinerea and its relative susceptibility to a variety of different plant extracts. Working under such an excellent mentor like Dr. Gwinn, I began to find my passion in the world of genomics and bioinformatics. When I first arrived at the University of Tennessee, I knew I was interested in biological sciences, but I did not have the experience or the knowledge to narrow down my field of interest. This research fellowship provided me with a challenging, hands-on experience in a field related to my broad interests, which allowed me to further my career interests as an undergraduate student. Additionally, the research fellowship provided me with fundamental laboratory techniques for future experiences and increased my confidence in my ability to do hands-on lab work. By the end of my research fellowship, I had accumulated experience vital to my growth as a student.

As a first-year student, I was initially intimidated by the idea of performing undergraduate research at such an early stage of my college career. However, the 1794 Research Fellowship program gave me the push I needed. I quickly discovered how rewarding it was to collaborate, struggle, and work towards a research-oriented goal. As an honors student, undergraduate research was a great way to hone in on my interests outside of the classroom. The ability to collaborate with my peers towards a specific research goal allowed me to dive into field work that I’m interested in. As a researcher, I saw the fundamental concepts I learned in the classroom come to life in an applied setting. Furthermore, the program helped me realize that exploring disciplines through research is of great value and your research does not always have to be related to your major.

I feel fortunate be a part of a fantastic honors program that encourages students to make their mark! Whether it’s in research, volunteer work, or community engagement, the honors programs are here to help students find their place at our large institution. As a 1794 Scholar, I have been able to branch out of my comfort zone to experience different aspects of this university that I otherwise would not have. From research to campus involvement, it has been a great experience to find friends and mentors that make this campus feel smaller. With the help of the resources provided in the Honors and Scholars programs, I found my passion in a completely different major/career field. I’m so excited to see where this new path takes me as I move forward in my undergraduate career.