The 1794 Scholars Program invites faculty to join us as we work to provide research opportunities for our honors students. Because our program emphasizes experiential learning and our scholars are eager to engage in these experiences, we hope to offer them unique opportunities to get involved in undergraduate research.
Scholars who successfully complete the 1794 Research Fellows Program receive a $500 grant. Additionally, based on exit evaluations from their supervisors and the scholars’ final reflections, one scholar will receive the “Fellow of the Year Award” and an additional $250 grant.
Faculty who participate in the program receive a $200 grant to use towards their research. Faculty will need to detail how they plan to use these funds in their application.
Expectations of Faculty and Fellowship:
- The fellowship will begin the week of January 13th and end the week of April 24th, with students off March 16-20 for spring break.
- The fellowship will require students to average 5 hours of work per week
- The fellowship will require an in-person interview, which may be conducted in the Honors & Scholars Office if needed
- The fellowship will provide on-site training with clear explanation of position expectations
- The faculty member will discuss with the fellow any potential risks involved with the position and potential consequences of/strategies for mitigating those risks
- The faculty member will ensure that the student has adequate supervision
- The faculty member will provide the scholar periodic feedback, either written or verbal, to help the scholar improve skills.
- The faculty member will complete and submit the exit survey by the date requested and conduct a final exit interview with the scholar going over the exit survey.
Expectations of Fellows:
- The fellow will complete an application and an in-person interview
- The fellow will show up on time, as scheduled for the duration of the fellowship
- The fellow will maintain professional standards of conduct for the given office or lab
- The fellow will be receptive and responsive to faculty feedback
- The fellow will maintain a time sheet provided by the 1794 Scholars Program
2019 Timeline for Internships:
October 16 Faculty submit fellowship applications
October 22 Fellowship applications open for students to apply
November 5 Fellowship applications close
December 4 Interviews completed
December 6 Candidates notified of offer