The 1794 Scholars Program invites Knoxville community businesses and organizations to join us as we work to provide internship opportunities for our honors students. Because our program emphasizes experiential learning and our scholars are eager to engage in these kinds of professionalization experiences, we hope to offer them unique opportunities to get involved in internships.
Scholars who successfully complete the 1794 Internship Program receive a $500 grant. Additionally, based on exit evaluations from their supervisors and the scholars’ final reflections, one scholar will receive the “Intern of the Year Award” and an additional $250 grant.
Expectations of Internship and Supervisor:
- The internship will begin the week of January 13th and end the week of April 24th, with scholars off March 16-20 for Spring Break.
- The internship will require students to average 5 hours of work per week
- The internship will require an in-person interview, on site or in the Honors & Scholars Office, if needed
- The supervisor will provide on-site training with clear explanation of position expectations
- The supervisor will discuss with the fellow any potential risks involved with the position and potential consequences of/strategies for mitigating those risks
- The supervisor will ensure that the student has adequate supervision
- The supervisor will provide the scholar periodic feedback, either written or verbal, to help the scholar improve professional skills.
- The supervisor will complete and submit the exit survey by the date requested and conduct a final exit interview with the scholar going over the exit survey.
Expectations of Interns:
- The intern will complete an application and an in-person interview
- The intern will show up on time, as scheduled for the duration of the fellowship
- The intern will maintain professional standards of conduct for the given office
- The intern will be receptive and responsive to supervisor feedback
- The intern will maintain a timesheet provided by the 1794 Scholars Program
2019 Timeline for Internships:
October 16 Interested organizations submit fellowship applications
October 22 Internship applications open for students to apply
November 5 Internship applications close
December 4 Interviews completed
December 6 Candidates notified of offer