The 1794 scholars love to work, not just see results, so we show them the process to contribute to our campus and community from day one. This two-year honors enrichment program is founded on the Volunteer spirit—pushing students to get involved and collaborate in unexpected ways. In 1794, every day is a chance to positively collide with something or someone new. 1794 Scholars welcomes approximately 300 students each year. These scholars are dedicated to both academic excellence and active participation in the UT and Knoxville community. Because 1794 Scholars is completely customizable, our students explore a broad range of interests through the four pillars of the program.
Signature Transformational Experiences
While there are several benefits of the 1794 Scholars Program, there are four signature pillars that make the 1794 experience unique. Each semester, students participate in at least one activity based on each of the program’s pillars. For each pillar the program partners with different units on campus to offer a wide range of opportunities.
Students begin their experience in the program with a one-hour seminar that introduces them to the university through a specialized version of First-Year Studies 101 developed for Honors Vols. In their second semester, scholars are introduced to honors coursework through University Honors 101 taught by faculty from across the university on their topic of choice. This course allows students to foster a connection with UT faculty and fellow 1794 students. After the first year, scholars can choose from a variety of activities to engage their intellectual curiosity each semester including:
- Honors Coursework: Scholars may continue to engage in at least one honors course of their choice each semester in the second year.
- Honors Curiosity and Connection Lectures: Each semester Honors & Scholars offers over 100 opportunities for scholars to encourage their intellectual, professional, and personal development.
- Internships: Scholars may participate in on-campus or off-campus internships to further explore their academic interests
- Undergraduate Research: Scholars may collaborate with university faculty to undertake group or individual research projects.
1794 Scholars get involved with at least one campus organization per semester to strengthen their understanding of the university and broaden their skill sets. UT’s over 500 student organizations offer a great space for our scholars to practice personal and professional skills that they’ll use throughout college and beyond. Involvement opportunities at UT are vast, ranging from Sorority & Fraternity life to the Pride of the Southland Band. Whatever your interests, UT has an organization to help you explore them!
GLOBAL AND CULTURAL AWARENESS
- Study Abroad: Scholars may participate in any UT approved study abroad opportunity to immerse themselves in a new culture and gain new global competencies.
- Intercultural Service or Research: Scholars may commit themselves to a non-credit bearing international or intercultural project that furthers their understanding of new culture or people.
- Cultural Coursework: Scholars may delve into new cultures through coursework offered right here at UT! Courses focusing on expanding scholars’ cultural perspectives will help develop their understanding of the world around them.
- Honors Culture Lectures: Each semester Honors & Scholars collaborates with campus partners like the International House, Pride Center, and Office of Multicultural Student Life to offer instructive workshops that help scholars develop the skills to communicate across difference.
Service to others is at the heart of the Volunteer ethos. All 1794 Scholars complete 25 hours of community service per year to give back to the communities in which they live and work while living up to the Torchbearer’s Creed. Honors & Scholars offers monthly days of service so scholars can explore the various organizations serving the Knoxville community and form a tight-knit bond with other Honors Vols. Additionally, the Jones Center for Leadership and Service provides a sign-up-to-serve calendar for all Vols to find service opportunities that suit their interests and schedules.